Monday, March 31, 2008

Play ball!

For those that have known me any length of time, you know that I am fairly harsh when it comes to baseball. Yes, I have ranted about the slowness of the game, the lack of athletic prowess involved, and the seeming determination of Major League Baseball to kill what's left of it.

I have proven in the past that I'm not above using this blog as a real confessional, so I will now confess something that is harder to admit than just liking the music of John Denver...

I think I'm starting to like baseball.

Yes, after years of living in denial, the nagging of certain friends, and bashing the game more than even Euro-football, it took my sons' involvement to help me see the beauty and fun of the game. So, here's a recap of opening day...


St. John Neumann Defenders
Charlotte, NC is renowned for its warm climate, drawing Yankees from far and wide to this "New Southern" town. Last Friday saw temperatures close to 80. Saturday saw temperatures in the 60s...for about 10 minutes. By the time the game ended, it was 57 degrees and falling. But not our spirits! The boys played an excellent game. Though the books marked it a loss, it was a spirited contest which saw this group of 9-12 year-olds take on a team that the previous year won the area championship. I'll let the coach give you the recap:
Just wanted to let you guys know what I thought of our first game on Saturday. In just a few words, I thought it was great. First pitch of the game was a strike. First batter we faced struck out. In two different innings, with two different pitchers, we held the other team without scoring. In the last inning it only took us only10 pitches to shut them down and all three outs came from defensive plays by the DEFENDERS. I got to watch the whole team leave the dugout to high five and congratulate one our own after he hit a towering home run into the parking lot. By the way, we know where not to park when we play on that field. We also had our first double play, and might I add that it was unassisted to end the inning. In 6 innings the other team only struck out 4 times. That means we made 14 plays from the field for outs (OUTstanding). It's hard to believe all this happened in only our first game, but it still gets better. We even had a play at the p late and nailed the runner trying to score.
My son played left and right fields, and even had a turn on second base. While he was struck out once, he had a mean hit right down the third base line. Not too shabby for his first time playing since tee-ball. It looks to be a great season.

Idlewild Baptist Bulldogs (the "Dawgs")
The first game was cold, this one was colder. But even with the wind blowing right through us the whole time, the Dawgs put on an impressive display of skill and determination. My son played catcher for three innings, which he especially liked because, as he said, the equipment kept him warm. But what difference is a little weather? The fans were fired up, the kids were prepared, and the peanuts were boiled (?!?).

As I already mentioned, my son played catcher for three innings, a surprise to me because I had never seen him practice that position before. But he did an outstanding job. It brought back memories of watching my brother play the position when he was a lad. As for hitting, he struck out once and walked. He advanced to second at one point before the inning ended. It was a fun game to watch.

You can see pictures and get updates on the Dawgs on their online home.

Overall, it was a great day, and one that has dawned a new chapter in my own life. My Dad used to take us to nearby Baltimore to see the Orioles play, and I didn't fully appreciate it then (sorry Dad). But, a new day is dawning and I'm a new man. DC has its own team, and even my Dad's converted to their cause. Maybe I'll make the pilgrimage along with him. And I can thank my boys for the journey.

3 comments:

Crys said...

Thank your boys for me too. It's about time you came into the light! I didn't have the power to do it, so I'm glad they did.

Angela said...

I still dislike baseball, but I love the fact that my nephews are so into it! I guess in a few years I will have to join the fan ranks because of my own munchkins. It puts a smile on my face to hear how well they did. I plan on seeing them play at one point this season! :)

Anonymous said...

Just so you know Brad, Dwayne and I are both big Nats fans. Dan W.