Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm no sissy boy

A concerned reader in Virgina writes:
You've got to MAN UP! I put three of your latest blog postings through the gender genie, and it decided that your writing was decidedly feminine. 2 out of 3 times!
The mystical gender genie is an online algorithm that determines, based on the words and number of times each is used, whether the writer is male or female. Who says science can't answer all of our questions?

I looked, and by Jove, it seems that some of my posts do shake out that way. Who'd have thought it was possible? I thought by virtue of the fact that I can grow more facial hair than the concerned reader would count for something.

Not that it's a total wash. I kicked off my blogging career with this uber-masculine post (2715 "male" words versus 1346 "female"). Want to write in a more masculine way? Use the following words often when writing:
  • the
  • is
  • a
  • at
  • these
  • it
  • to
  • what
This is the key. To write what the genie is looking at. Many have said as much. It is above its expectations to use words that are longer than one syllable (like "Ugh").

What goes around comes around is what I say. It is important to check other sites as well. I Can Ascertain Some Sites are as feminine as others.

(This post is 758 masculine to 171 feminine by the way.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is a manly post. Nice job Canyon Man.

Angela said...

I don't think you are a sissy boy...except that you said "a concerned reader in VIRGINA". so much for spelling and grammar...

Anonymous said...

Miss u in cyber space!
Blog away, my friend!
This is your cyber accountability force....